- Blues Music Awards Nominees Announced. Louisiana Red receives five nominations! Each year, the Blues Foundation creates a wonderful forum to reflect upon the achievements of the blues community. Through a two tier nomination process, with a large pool of industry leaders as nominators, the year's releases are narrowed down to 26 award categories, each category having 5 nominees appearing on the ballot. From there Blues Foundation members will cast their votes, and in a ceremony that takes place each year in early May, the winners are announced. This is an exciting process and those chosen as nominees and winners will enjoy a notable burst of career recognition and attention. The nominees were announced today and to see a complete list please click here . Bob was pleased to see fellow Rhythm Room All-Star, Patrick Rynn, up for Best Instrumentalist in the Bass category! In prominence this year is Louisiana Red, with 5 nominations, 2 of which are specifically for the Red CD Back To The Black Bayou on Ruf Records, which was produced by Little Victor (Bob plays on 2 tracks on this CD). The Blues Foundation will present the Blues Music Awards at the Cook Convention Center in Memphis, TN on May 6, 2010. Congratulations to all the nominees!
- Louisiana Red Honored with France's Academie Charles Cros Award! Little Victor reports that Louisiana Red / Back To The Black Bayou on Ruf Records has received France's Academie Charles Cros Award for "Best Blues Album 2009". Little Victor, who produced and plays on this wonderful record, describes this award as the French equivelent to the Grammy. Congratulations to Louisiana Red for this well deserved recognition. To read Victor's post of this in Blindman's Blues Forum click here.
- Phoenix Harmonica Showcase this Thursday at the Rhythm Room! Each year the Rhythm Room presents a harmonica showcase hosted by Bill Tarsha & The Rocket 88's, to showcase the many fine harmonica players residing in the Phoenix area., This year the showcase will take place on Thursday, December 10th and will include Bill Tarsha, Big Nick, John Calley, Steve Passenelli, Rob Hale, Rusty Walker, Robert Jackson, Lady D, Larry Dee, Gypsy, King Gypsy, Jump Back Keith, Walkin' Cane Mark, Jimmy Johnson, Boyd White, Blind Ronnie, Rockin Ruben, Larry Polk, Jerry Swartz, Dwight Miles, Chris Cremains, Sugar Bear, Root Doctor, Papa G., Tumbleweed, Johnny Rock, "Shakey" Joe Harless (of Shaker Harmonica Microphones), Gus Harless, Lee Poole, Bob Corritore and more! Doors open at 7pm and the show begins at 8pm. The Rhythm Room is located at 1019 E. Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ 85014.
- Dave Riley and Bob Corritore New Reviews and Press Release. Thanks to Betsie Brown of Blind Racoon Publicty for really working a great campain for Dave Riley & Bob Corritore / Lucky To Be Living on Blue Witch Records. Many new reviews have been posted on Bob's website (click here to see). Betsie recently sent out a press release summarizing some of Dave & Bob's recent activities and it can be viewed by clicking here. Thanks to all the radio stations, reviewers, publications, and fans for their great support of this release!
- Ray Flerlage Blues Photos Posted Online. Unseen Little Walter Photos included! Ray Flerlage was an amazing Chicago based photographer, who's many brilliant blues images from the early 1960s are considered of great historic importance. Many examples of these photos appear in Ray's book Chicago Blues As Seen From The Inside, published in 2000. His photos have graced the covers of such Chess albums as J.B. Lenoir / Natural Man, Buddy Guy / I Was Walking Through The Woods, and Little Walter / Confessin The Blues and Delmark Records' Junior Wells / Blues Hit The Big Town and Blues Piano Orgy (Various Artists) . Ray passed away in 2002, but his work has recently appeared on the Cache Agency website. Included are some newly unearthed Little Walter photos including a great stage shot of Johnny Young, Robert Nighthawk, and Little Walter performing together. Also included online are Ray's photos of Howlin' Wolf, Arvella Gray, B.B. King, Jimmy Reed, John Lee Hooker, Koko Taylor and Lightnin' Hopkins (together), Memphis Slim, Muddy Waters, Otis Rush, Son House, Willie Dixon, and more. To see this website click here.
- Now Booking 2010 Festival Season. Bob Corritore, and his numerous musical projects, are now accepting offers for the 2010 festival season. Bob performs with both the Rhythm Room All-Stars (with Big Pete Pearson, Bob Corritore, Chris James, Patrick Rynn, and Brian Fahey), and with the Dave Riley / Bob Corritore Juke Joint Blues Band. Please note that the Rhythm Room All-stars can also offer customized revue format shows with a wide selection of guest artists available. In 2009 the Rhythm Room All-Stars performed at festivals backing Pinetop Perkins, Louisiana Red, Tomcat Courtney, Elmore James, Jr., Henry Gray, Aaron Moore, Allen Batts, and others. Also note that Chris James & Patrick Rynn, who recently won a Blues Blast Music Award, can also be booked as a seperate show. No matter what the format, each option delivers a highly entertaining, deeply rooted, traditional blues show. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Additions and Corrections to December 4th Newsletter. We unintentionally omitted mentioning the amazing Lurrie Bell as we listed the artists who were associated with the Grammy nominated CD Chicago Blues: A Living History. Jim Themelis asks that we give credit to harmonica master Joe Filisko for the information on the recently discovered Big Walter Horton master acetate. Concerning our segment on Blues Downsizing, Jerry Davis writes: "The 2010 Quincy Area Blues Fest, in Quincy, Illinois, has been cancelled after a sixteen year run in Washington Park."
- Little Esther Phillips On YouTube! Please enjoy these clips of the amazing vocalist, Little Esther Phillips as she presents two examples of her blues balladry. She performs "Misery" with a small combo that, though uncredited, is likely Johhny Otis' band click here to see, and a powerhouse version of "Release Me" with the full Johnny Otis show, complete with conductor, live at the 1970 Monterey Jazz Festival, click here to see.
Monday, 21 December 2009
Bob Corritore Blues Newsletter - BMA Nominations, Louisiana Red, New Little Walter Photos, and more!
December 8, 2009